Rural & Unincorporated Water & WasteWater Infrastructure Program
The Rural & Unincorporated Water & Wastewater Infrastructure Program supports water and wastewater infrastructure in rural and unincorporated areas of Maricopa County that have been disproportionately affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The focus of the program is improving the overall health and safety of residents for eligible low- to moderate-income multi-family communities. The program is funded by the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA).
Step 1. Check Eligibility
To qualify for the Rural & Unincorporated Water & Wastewater Infrastructure Program, the following criteria must be met:
- Location: Property must be in an unincorporated area of Maricopa County or a county island.
- Access: There must be clear access to the construction work site or clear access is attainable prior to construction walk through removing any structures or debris in the way.
- Good Standing: Property must not have open violations from Maricopa County Planning and Development.
- Zoning Compliance: Property must be legally and appropriately zoned for the current operation/use.
- Financial Status: Property cannot be in a pre-foreclosure/foreclosure status from any institution(s).
- Proof of Ownership: Applicant must produce proof of property ownership (e.g., deed) and type (e.g., Sole ownership, LLC, corporate).
- Tenant Information: You will be required to have your tenants complete information sheets to prove income requirements are met. To qualify, 70% of households must respond and at least 70% of households must qualify as low- to moderate-income residents (300% of U.S. Federal Poverty Guideline).
Step 2. Download the Letter of Interest & Questionnaire
Step 3. Watch Virtual Information Session
For questions, contact HSDARPAWater@maricopa.gov.
Step 4. Complete the Application
Step 5. Provide Tenant Documentation
- Contact tenants and request that they complete the Tenant Application. This may be completed electronically or on paper.
- To qualify for this program, 70% of households must respond and at least 70% of households must qualify as low- to moderate-income residents (300% of U.S. Federal Poverty Guideline).
- Explanation Letter to Tenants
- Tenant Info Sheet
- Email completed Tenant Information sheets to HSDARPAWater@maricopa.gov.
Note: Additional documentation may be requested to determine eligibility.
Step 6. Provide Additional Documents — If Applicable
If applicable: Submit documents to HSDARPAWater@maricopa.gov that show proof of any resolved/closed violation cases if the property has had prior or recent violations with Maricopa County.
Step 7. Determination
- Once the application and all required documentation are received, your completed application will be reviewed for eligibility, priority, and feasibility.
- If your project meets the eligibility requirements, you will be contacted to schedule an initial site visit.
- After the site visit, if the Human Services Department elects to fund your project, you will be contacted to discuss the next steps.