Subcontractor Registration

Who is Required to Have a Subcontractor Registration?


Any subcontractor who is engaged in dust-generating operations at a site that is subject to a Maricopa County dust control permit is required to register. You need to register prior to performing dust-generating activities on a site where you are not the permit holder. A registration may be issued to an individual, a partnership, a limited liability company, or a corporation.

Note that driving on unpaved roads, haul areas, or access areas is considered to be a dust-generating operation. If this is on a site subject to a dust control permit and you are not the permit holder, you must have a valid subcontractor registration.
If you are engaged in dust-generating operations, you may also need dust control training. See Do You Need Dust Control Training? for more details.


Registration is not necessary for companies who always hold the dust control permits for sites on which they work. The following are also exempt from subcontractor registration:
  • Vendor/supplier delivery trucks (except import, export, and stacking operations using ancillary motorized equipment, such as a forklift)
  • Lunch trucks or food vendors
  • Waste management trucks
  • Regulatory agencies

Fees and Registration Renewal

The annual fee (new or renewal) is $50. Registration is valid for one year from the month it was issued. It must be renewed annually if you continue to work in Maricopa County. Your registration number will not change if you remain current on renewals.

How to Apply for or Renew a Subcontractor Registration

Registration applications and registration renewals can be submitted at any of our Permit Intake and Kiosk Locations or through our online portal.
To use the online portal:
  1. Complete the Subcontractor Registration Application (new registrations only) and save it to your computer.
  2. Access the online portal and attach the application. No document attachments are required for renewals, but be sure to check the box marked "Renewal".
  3. Pay the $50 fee with a valid credit card.
To apply in person or by mail:
  1. Complete the New Subcontractor Registration Application (new registrations only) or the Renewal Subcontractor Registration Application (renewals only).
  2. Bring it to one of our permit intake locations, or mail it to the address located on the top of the form.
  3. Pay the $50 fee with a check or money order payable to Maricopa County Air Quality Department (MCAQD). Credit cards are also acceptable when applying in person.

How to Display Your Registration Number


Subcontractors must display their registration number on every job site on which the company works. The number needs to be visible from a distance without having to approach an individual on the site.

The registration number may be copied or reproduced in any format as long as the registration number is readily accessible on-site while conducting any dust generating operations and it is visible and readable by the public without having to be asked by the public.

The registration number may be displayed in a number of ways other than painted on a vehicle.
  • Paper sign affixed to the vehicle or equipment window
  • Sign at the entrance with your company's name on it and the SC number
  • Magnet on the door or bumper
  • Rearview mirror hanger
  • Banner near subcontractor’s work location
Window display is a valid option so long as the number is visible from the exterior of the vehicle. Both window display and bumper/door magnets are good methods of displaying registration numbers for those using personal vehicles or renting equipment.

How to Make Changes to Your Registration

If your address changes, complete a Subcontractor Change Request Form
If you wish to add contacts to your registration, complete a Contact Information Update Form
If the ownership of the business changes, you must cancel your registration. Complete a Subcontractor Change Request Form, and check the Cancel box as well as include the reason for cancellation. A subcontractor registration cannot be transferred. The new owner, partnership, LLC, or corporation must apply for a new registration.

All forms can be mailed to or mailed or delivered in person to the address located at the top of the form.
Page reviewed 31 May 2019